The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Darklight

Craigii grafts- image heavy!

I did some grafting of M. craigii onto Pereskiopsis stock in December last year, thought I'd posted the pics and topics but can't find them here.

The grafts were done with the usual sterile scalpel blade and some 3M tape. Scions were smaller than I was used to working with but seemed to take OK. The pics below are of separate two individuals grafted on the same day

gallery_12_3_138636.jpg

med_gallery_12_3_40817.jpg

I don't work with cactii much, and thought that this was a bit of a failure until I took today's pics and compared them side by side. This is growth mostly over winter, and only represents nine months since the last pics were taken

gallery_12_3_3576.jpggallery_12_3_4869.jpg

This is a wider shot of one of them

gallery_12_3_818.jpg

And then I compared them against a specimen which hadn't been grafted. There is so little difference in growth over nine months here I thought I'd taken the pics all today until I checked.

gallery_12_3_25438.jpg

gallery_12_3_5391.jpg

OKOK it's not a huge success, and I reckon someone here could do a better job with different stock genes- any suggestions are welcome! But when compared to the grafted plants, watching growth on the control plants has been like doing my tax, or watching paint dry... am pretty happy with it now :)

The white spines and enlongated growth on the non-grafted plants are from too little light. Great work though! I've never put time into learning to graft of Pereskiopsis as well as some.

~Michael~

The white spines and enlongated growth on the non-grafted plants are from too little light.

Yep agree about the etiolation on the non-grafted plants, but the white spines I'm not sure of. I have a few in various places and none have developed red spines consistently yet. Early days as they haven't been outside a full summer, butI spose I'll have to wait til they flower to confirm ID anyhow.

Geez they are slow growers though!

These were regenerated from callus in tissue culture. We got many more regerants than that, but most seemed to explode after a few months ex-vitro and it looked like the majority were just callus tissue shaped like cactus with a normal layer of skin and spines over them. Weird.

Pics of the parent material are in the Propagation section of the gallery