The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mesqualero

Brugmansia Seeds

Guest Mesqualero

I have just had a couple of Brugmansia seeds germinate and Im wondering when the best time to take them out of the propagation house where they get intermittent misting...

My guess is that they should be gradually exposed to more sun ?? But they like partial shade right ??

Any help on these would be appreciated... thanks smile.gif

Which species?

High humidity may encourage them to rot.

Hardening off is always a kind gesture, however most species will benefit from plenty of sunlight.

Guest Mesqualero

Brugmansia aurea hybrid from TS Tantra

It isnt really humid.. it just gets misted every 10 minutes or so.. I don't know whether I should move to a shade house or into full sun or if I should do it gradually..

Guest mandragora

l

Edited by mandragora

Guest mandragora

My last answer was not really for your question, sorry. I would wait to two to four leafes. Wait not too long to get them out, depends how good it is in Brisbane.

Guest Mesqualero

Thanks everyone for your responses... I have moved them into a shade area which still gets good irrigation and the containers I have germinated them are big enough so that I don't have to prick them out for a while yet. I just got the feeling that they werent too keen on the constant misting.

I love a challenge smile.gif

I grew the same seed.

I soaked it and removed the corky layer and put them into Rockwool blocks which sat in an lunchbox with a thin layer of water under a HPS light for several weeks when they al came up in a short window of time.

Then they got no misting at all and 16 hours of fullstrength HPS light per day. (Caapi, mitrgyna, Baccopa, orchids, mucuna and Cacti all get the same treatment)

They are happy and healthy and adapted well to cooler conditions outside till the snails decimated them one night - even with snail pellets.

The surviving plants are very happy outside now in full sun in a composted pinebark/perlite and composted cow manure potting mix.

Originally posted by mandragora:

I think I would begin the first week with a shady place, no wind and at night inside.

I wonder if bringing plants in at night would be such a good idea. I have one special plant which took quite a hammering with recent storms that passed through and it doesn't seem to like the frosty evenings much either. I thought bringing it in might help but my question is whether the dramatic change in conditions (upon changing from indoors to outdoors or vica versa) would in fact do the plant more harm than just leaving it out in the hope that it would build up frost resistance.

I've also read that spraying with kelp solution can help with frost tolerance.

Mesqualero, I found with B sanguinea that it needed to be moved away from high humidity conditions (ie for germination), pretty quickly as rot soon set in. This species also takes up a lot of root space so a large pot or in the garden are good ways to go.

i've now grown this plant from seed to flowering in under 3 years,there's a pod hanging there pollenated with sanguina,just burst the calyx.do i get my brug growers badge?

but anyway i can now verify these are most likely arborea and not aurea hybrid.

these are about the easiest brugs to grow from seed,you can really just plant them in a pot or the ground and treat as per normal.

t s t .

Guest Mesqualero

Neat Ts smile.gif *Gives you a special "Mesq" badge"

biggrin.gif

Hey Tantra, that badge belongs to me and you know it. tongue.gif