Legba

Peter Brock RIP

Peter died today during a racing event in WA. A sad loss. :(

RIP

:worship:

ok, i had a look and its true.

Petrol heds everywhere will be suckin on the tinnies tonite. :(

news

SYDNEY, Sept 8 (Reuters) - One of Australia's most famous motor racing drivers Peter Brock was killed in a rallying accident on Friday, motoring officials said.

Brock's death comes just days after another famous Australian, Steve Irwin, was killed by a stingray barb to the chest in a diving accident.

Brock, who won Australia's famous touring car race at Bathurst a record nine times and many other endurance racing titles, was killed when his car slammed into a tree during a rally race in Western Australia state, Sky TV said.

"On behalf of the motor sport community, CAMS offers its sincere sympathy to Peter's family and many friends," the Confederation of Australian Motor Sport said in a statement.

Brock, 61, was Australia's most famous motoring figure behind former Formula One triple world champion Jack Brabham.

His death came as Australians grieve after "Crocodile Hunter" Irwin, whose documentaries were seen by 200 million people around the world, was killed on Monday.

:( My condolences to his family and to the half of Australia who were Holden fans. Australia has lost a truly great man :worship:

I had a quiet moment with chockito to reflect

post-930-1157701546_thumb.jpg

It has not been a good week for aussie icons :(

Fark, what a sad time for well-known contributors to Australia...

Don Chipp, Steve Irwin, the great author Colin Thiele (goodbye, creator of Mr. Percival :() and now Peter Brock.

I don't squat about motor sport, but I know he provided a lot of happiness for the petrol-heads (I've always been a Holdens man myself).

RIP Peter Brock.

I had a Brock Commodore, travelled 85 KM's in under 15 mins [street race ]. talk about hard on LOL

VK group 3 SS yeah!!! and then some fucker stole it and left me to fight the insurer for three years whom I paid close to $4000.00to insure the car. That set me back ten years - Assholes, theives and insurance companies both!! They slandered me in court to save themselves the $$$$$

Insurance is a SHAM!!

A most excellent vehicle by the racing legend!!

Edited by evil

Assholes, theives and insurance companies both!! They slandered me in court to themselves the $$$$$

Insurance is a SHAM!!

Oh brother, fucking insurance companies...I hate them. And I work for one!! (as a computer programmer, for an English company on contract).

Never had to deal with a stolen car...but I have had my house burgaled and spent MONTHS dealing with CGU to get what was owed to me. Bastards only paid when I threatened to go to the ombudsman. Bastards, bastards, bastards!!

/rant.

I had a Brock Commodore, travelled 85 KM's in under 15 mins [street race ]. talk about hard on LOL

um.. thats an average of 340 km/hr? was your commodore on the space shuttle that turned into an aluminium cloud burst or did u fit JATO rockets to it?

:P

Peter also raced volvos amongst many other things and was going to drive a chev in a NZ rally thats hapenning soon. there will no doubt be alot of sad people at bathurst this year and a fitting memorial. p

Peter won the race 9 times and won by 6 laps in '79. Its a record unlikely to be beaten for a long time.

Yeah strapped rockets to the car! learnt that from road runner LOL

The sign said 85 km to Kiama as we left Wolllongong and fifteen mins later we were there, The speedo went to 220 or might have been 240 and the tacho was close to redline but not quite, from memory.

I had three people with me and the fully worked VH commdore that was racing me had the same. I actually thought they were lookin to rip my car off - ironic isnt it. They were just after some fun.

Now I dont know actual distance perhaps you can buy a little wheel and walk it for me, but it was 85km by the signs..

Ultimately no one gives a rats ass, it was very fast , very stupid but a lot of fun, Had the Eagles blarin' on the stereo.

I recall doing the maths at the time and I redid it off the tacho and I recall thinkung that cant be right but it would depend on the validity of the road signage.

I was just very lucky the freeway was deserted that night!

I should add the car had the forced induction ram fitted, It was one tidy car with a real touchy accelerator wheelspinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nearly wiped out into a bridge the day I bought it. Anyway the theft of that car led to the demise of my love of the car scene, still love fast cars though!!!!

And that is the truth !!

Edited by evil

The sign said 85 km to Kiama as we left Wolllongong and fifteen mins later we were there, The speedo went to 220 or might have been 240

Gong to Kiama is just under 40km. That puts your average speed at 160kmh, which is a lot more believable, but still pretty stupid.

Ultimately no one gives a rats ass, it was very fast , very stupid but a lot of fun, Had the Eagles blarin' on the stereo.

Yes, very stupid. More lives were lost on that stretch of road per year than on any other highway section in australia. Up to 15 fatalities per year in the years before the Minnamurra upgrade, and a few less since then.

Peter brock set one very good example thoughout his career and that was roadsafety. Much of his later life revolved around teaching young people safe driving, because he could see the message wasn't getting through. I think a better tribute to his life would have been to NOT brag about doing stupid things in a Brock Commodore. I thought that maybe his death would be the final lesson he has to teach - that even the best driver can die from unsafe driving. I wonder how many revheads will grasp that concept.

Peter brock set one very good example thoughout his career and that was roadsafety. Much of his later life revolved around teaching young people safe driving, because he could see the message wasn't getting through.

Care to substantiate those claims? Sounds like you're the victim of a well planned subversive PR campaign. :P

(Wonder if you saw that coming :lol:)

Edited by Pelinster

Care to substantiate those claims? Sounds like you're the victim of a well planned subversive PR campaign. :P

(Wonder if you saw that coming :lol:)

LOL, na, didn't see it coming, but well deserved :worship:

When I used to work with street kids and underprivileged youths in melbourne in the late 80's I was also involved in a mentoring group for kids who were caugh 'joyriding'. One of the workshops was attended by Peter Brock (for free) and even though motorsports mean nothing to me I realised the impact this person had on those youngsters (mind you, I was only a few years older) and realised that he probably saved the lives of some of them. I really admired him for taking so much time for doing something good. There were no cameras, no commercials, not even an advertisement by the local politicians or media that he was appearing. He was there for the kids and no one else. Not hanging out in revhead circles I have no proof that he did this regularly, but to me it seemed he was in his element at the time and I would be surprised if he hadn't done it dozens of times before.

Well at the time the sign we read going out of Wollongong said 85km the speedo went to 220 or 240 l don't recall as we are talking 1990? The speedo did not go under 200 the unburnt fuel from both vehicles was flashing out the exhaust and however f#$%@ far it was we were there in under Fifteen. As I said it was stupid, I was young and carefree and I was going out with a smile. I didn't buy the car for the name on it but for the power it generated and only some one who has really travelled at speed would understand the thrill of it. What I was really saying was that he produced one awesome car - although the gearbox was weak in third, I blew third gear coming back from Grafton 100km/h comp lockup!!!Damn roadworx- logging truck, space shuttle whatever it was!!!

Edited by evil

Gong to Kiama is just under 40km. That puts your average speed at 160kmh, which is a lot more believable, but still pretty stupid.

Yes, very stupid. More lives were lost on that stretch of road per year than on any other highway section in australia. Up to 15 fatalities per year in the years before the Minnamurra upgrade, and a few less since then.

Peter brock set one very good example thoughout his career and that was roadsafety. Much of his later life revolved around teaching young people safe driving, because he could see the message wasn't getting through. I think a better tribute to his life would have been to NOT brag about doing stupid things in a Brock Commodore. I thought that maybe his death would be the final lesson he has to teach - that even the best driver can die from unsafe driving. I wonder how many revheads will grasp that concept.

Not for you to say Torsten, You cannot judge me, That is mine to decide, Can you tell every one here that you have never done anything when you were younger that you realise now was stuoid.

I can look back on my own life and say well that was stupid or that was smart, but its not for you to judge. My life is my own, and for every action I make, I am responsible. My comments were not bragging merely commenting on the vehicles performance. I can testify I don't drive like that anymore - its too expensive, not just monetarily, and I have not seen any safety campaign taught by Peter Brock.

Have you heard " Empty bessels make the most noise"

Edited by evil

LOL, na, didn't see it coming, but well deserved :worship:

When I used to work with street kids and underprivileged youths in melbourne in the late 80's I was also involved in a mentoring group for kids who were caugh 'joyriding'. One of the workshops was attended by Peter Brock (for free) and even though motorsports mean nothing to me I realised the impact this person had on those youngsters (mind you, I was only a few years older) and realised that he probably saved the lives of some of them. I really admired him for taking so much time for doing something good. There were no cameras, no commercials, not even an advertisement by the local politicians or media that he was appearing. He was there for the kids and no one else. Not hanging out in revhead circles I have no proof that he did this regularly, but to me it seemed he was in his element at the time and I would be surprised if he hadn't done it dozens of times before.

Hahaha, I'm glad you liked that..

I used to be a bit of a hoon when I was a kid. A lot of kids who had problems like mine lacked good role models and having someone like Peter Brock deliver the message would be a lot more effective than some police officer, I imagine. So good on him.

Not for you to say Torsten, You cannot judge me, That is mine to decide, Can you tell every one here that you have never done anything when you were younger that you realise now was stuoid.

I can look back on my own life and say well that was stupid or that was smart, but its not for you to judge.

Sorry, I think you misunderstood. I don't give a rat's ass whether you endanger YOUR life or not. That is for you to decide and for you to judge whether it was stupid or not. You already said it was stupid and there is no need for me to elaborate. I have done plenty of stupid things in my life too and these are personal decisions that are no one else's business :innocent_n:

My comment about your stupidity was purely in reference to the other people's lives you endangered and that IS my business, because I am a road user too and stupidity like yours (in your younger years) endangers my life too. It is because of the accidents I have seen in my roughly 1 million kms on the road, mostly caused by young speeding and inexperienced drivers, that I ended up losing my desire to be on these roads. So yeah, bloody oath it is my business. As soon as you involve other people (such as on a public road) it becomes everyone's business. :angry:

A lot of kids who had problems like mine lacked good role models and having someone like Peter Brock deliver the message would be a lot more effective than some police officer, I imagine. So good on him.

Oh yes. At the time I had totally underestimated the effect this would have. I think the mere fact he showed his face would have been enough to make the rest of the workshop sink in, but his actual one on one engagement was probably one of the most precious experiences some of these kids would have had in their whole lives and that alone had a huge impact.

I was wondering if someone could explain the Brock commodore thing to me. I was under the impression that Holden just builds special cars and then gets famous people to endorse them. Maybe the famous people get to have some input on the style etc, but (keeping in mind I know nothing about cars) I always assumed the engineering had nothing to do with them. Does anyone know any different? ie, just what sort of input did Brock have into the Brock commodore?

Sorry, I think you misunderstood. I don't give a rat's ass whether you endanger YOUR life or not. That is for you to decide and for you to judge whether it was stupid or not. You already said it was stupid and there is no need for me to elaborate. I have done plenty of stupid things in my life too and these are personal decisions that are no one else's business :innocent_n:

My comment about your stupidity was purely in reference to the other people's lives you endangered and that IS my business, because I am a road user too and stupidity like yours (in your younger years) endangers my life too. It is because of the accidents I have seen in my roughly 1 million kms on the road, mostly caused by young speeding and inexperienced drivers, that I ended up losing my desire to be on these roads. So yeah, bloody oath it is my business. As soon as you involve other people (such as on a public road) it becomes everyone's business. :angry:

I dont see how any of my actions in my younger years could affect your life now, thats just silly. Staying :angry: is why stupid things usually occur - you like arguing dont you - just calm down little fella!!

You are wrong, the road was deserted as stated, though that was by chance - and - it didn't affect you, it wasnt a part of your life regardless how much of anything you have seen in your life - so you have no place to comment upon it!!

Edited by evil

Brock put his name to commodores that were modified to his and the customers wishes. Like my car had a roller cam in the engine which is not standard in Holden Commodores, Twin barrelled Carbies, Forced air ram, Spoiler,skirts and front dam kit, lowered suspension, scheel intereior seats [you sit on these as you drive]. Initially Peter just put his endorsement on Holdens and he realised how profitable it was I guess and kicked off the performance cars for Rev head nuts to speed down the freeway, why build a fast car when you know you cant use it on the streets? He knew people would not respect the law i guess.

Edited by evil

evil, although your actions did not have adverse consequences in that circumstance, countless people have not been so lucky. I'd like to see you try and explain the fact that speeding down a freeway, that at the time you did not know how many people were on, did not endanger OTHER peoples lives. Especially try and explain it to all the people who have lost family and friends at the irresponsible hands of "hoons." Even better, explain it to the people who have taken someone elses life accidently only trying to achieve that "thrill" of going fast. It seems everyone here agrees it was stupid, what seems to annoy Torsten IMO is your attempts at justifying the stupidity by essencially saying "dont worry, nothing happened." It's not your actions per se that have affected Torsten, it is the similair actions of other people that have resulted in deaths. To say that Peter Brock put his name to a care so people could break the law is the strangest claim I have heard recently. Doing a quick google search, I can't actually find evidence to say that Brock has even recieved a fine for anything car related (correct me if I'm wrong). If he drives responsibly, why would he encourage others not to? Finally evil, maybe you should answer your own question, why build a fast car when you know you cant use it on the streets?

Cheers

FCL

evil, although your actions did not have adverse consequences in that circumstance, countless people have not been so lucky. I'd like to see you try and explain the fact that speeding down a freeway, that at the time you did not know how many people were on, did not endanger OTHER peoples lives. Especially try and explain it to all the people who have lost family and friends at the irresponsible hands of "hoons." Even better, explain it to the people who have taken someone elses life accidently only trying to achieve that "thrill" of going fast. It seems everyone here agrees it was stupid, what seems to annoy Torsten IMO is your attempts at justifying the stupidity by essencially saying "dont worry, nothing happened." It's not your actions per se that have affected Torsten, it is the similair actions of other people that have resulted in deaths. To say that Peter Brock put his name to a care so people could break the law is the strangest claim I have heard recently. Doing a quick google search, I can't actually find evidence to say that Brock has even recieved a fine for anything car related (correct me if I'm wrong). If he drives responsibly, why would he encourage others not to? Finally evil, maybe you should answer your own question, why build a fast car when you know you cant use it on the streets?

Cheers

FCL

I am certain I am the one who said it was a stupid act, I think I also explained that I dont drive that way anymore! My original comment was to show that Peter Brock knew his stuff. The cars he built acheived what he built them for! Performance.

My comment to Torsten was that - My earlier actions cannot affect him NOW! It was said tongue in cheek! I am not trying to justify anything..

Who cares if Brock ever got fined ?

I dont have the answer it is a moral issue with Government and car producers - speeding, and associated fines etc come from cars being able to!

Why do Guns get sold "they are lethal"-" No moral differnce"

Edited by evil

I am certain I am the one who said it was a stupid act, I think I also explained that I dont drive that way anymore! My original comment was to show that Peter Brock knew his stuff. The cars he built acheived what he built them for! Performance.

My comment to Torsten was that - My earlier actions cannot affect him NOW! It was said tongue in cheek! I am not trying to justify anything..

Who cares if Brock ever got fined ?

I dont have the answer it is a moral issue with Government and car producers - speeding, and associated fines etc come from cars being able to!

Why do Guns get sold "they are lethal"-" No moral differnce"

I apologise evil, I don't mean to attack you directly, but this is quite a touchy topic with me. I've been an aquantince of a few people who have died driving like idiots and I have seen the aftermath of a situation where someone I went to school with killed his younger brother by driving into a tree at approximately 200km/h, spent the next few months recovering in hospital and denying it ever happened, was ostrasized by his family, turned to the bottle and if I remember correctly is now a complete psychological wreck. I agree that the HDT commodores are good cars, and good reports of V8's are few and far between in this era of turbocharged chinese takeaway containers. :uzi: Skylines.

Cheers

FCL