Monday 4 December

The Mars Volta (USA)

Thebarton Theatre, Torrensville, SA

Tickets on sale: 21 September

Wednesday 6 December

The Mars Volta (USA)

Metro City, Northbridge, WA

Tickets on sale: 21 September

time to dig out the ol' groovin shoes, wouldn't miss this for the world :)

Saw 'em at the BDO a few years back, man that singer is great to watch. Think I may have to check this gig out! :)

Hell Yeah!!!!! Finally haha cheers for the post Narayan! :)

Bout time they did a gig here, missed out seeing em at the BDO and side shows. Been really diggin their new stuff aswell uber psychadelically jazzy latino twisted rock. Heard nothing but praise for there gigs so im definatly gonna be there :bong::shroomer::worship::devil:

THE MARS VOLTA

ANNOUNCE AUSTRALASIAN TOUR NOV– DEC 2006

"Categorizing The Mars Volta is futile" - THE NEW YORK TIMES

A live performance by The Mars Volta ascends to musical heights few ever experience. Salacious, self-indulgent and psychedelic, The Mars Volta leave their audience speechless show after show. This stunning live eight-piece outfit never fails to showcase musical virtuosity at its absolute finest.

Continuing their love affair with Australia, The Mars Volta return for a run of shows across the country. The last time Australia and New Zealand experienced The Mars Volta it was as part of the Big Day Out, but this time they return for a headlining tour, taking in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth, as well as satisfying New Zealander’s with an appearance in Auckland.

The Mars Volta return in support of their third album Amputechture (available in Australia September 9th and New Zealand September 11th through Universal Music). Amputechture signals a change for The Mars Volta; this is their first album without a unifying narrative.

While Omar Rodriguez-Lopez and Cedric Bixler-Zavala held their places of creating the music and lyrics respectively, this time they chose to compartmentalize the record. Forming a collection of unrelated stories, vignettes, inside jokes and memories, Amputechture, which notably features John Frusciante of Red Hot Chili Pepper’s fame, is the band’s crowning moment thus far.

Glowing reviews hint at The Mars Volta producing one of their best albums yet. The Observer (UK) gave the album 5/5 stars. While Blender wrote of Amputechture; “It’s epic, mercurial, high-impact progressive rock that moves like a whirlwind.”

The band’s live concerts incite similar praise. Blistering.com’s review of their January 2006 Sydney sideshow enthused; “when they brought it all to a monumental, heart-stopping halt... there was euphoria in the air.”

The Mars Volta are no strangers to the adulation of Aussie and Kiwi fans, as they sell out shows, tour after tour. With the phenomenal Amputechture in hand, demand for this band is going to be fiercer than ever before. Tickets go on sale Thursday 21 September. Don’t miss your chance to experience the astounding Mars Volta as they show us how extraordinary music can be..

The Mars Volta revived the concept album in 2005 with their cerebral opus Frances the Mute. The epic LP centered on the thoughts of a man seeking out his adopted parents.

Those musings were contained within a diary discovered by former

"To me, religion is the reason there's so much conflict in the world. Amputechture is my way of describing enlightenment." — The Mars Volta's Cedric Bixler-Zavala

Photos, audio and video from this story

The Mars Volta

"The Widow [Edit]"

The Widow

(Universal/Strummer/Gold Standard)

Volta bandmate Jeremy Ward while he was employed as a repo man. Before Ward's 2003 death from an apparent overdose, he took it upon himself to finish the unknown writer's work. The band's frontman, Cedric Bixler-Zavala, later used the writings as a blueprint of sorts for Frances (see "Mars Volta's Conceptual Frances The Mute Speaks Volumes").

For the Volta's forthcoming conceptual offering, Amputechture, which hits stores September 12, Bixler-Zavala didn't rely on just one source of inspiration for his lyrics — there was plenty on his mind this time around.

"It's all loose, really," he explained. "I love the way that [Rod Serling's 1970s series] 'Night Gallery' had that common thread that it was a gallery, and every painting told a different story. I guess I'd like that to be true of this album, too. The subject matter's all different, but [the songs] do all come together in a strange way. Every song would be a different episode that kind of relates in the way that [Paul Thomas Anderson's 1999 film] 'Magnolia' has all these different characters [who] all come back together in the end.

"There's the subject of the immigrant marches that were happening here," Bixler-Zavala continued. "And there were things I saw on the news, like the story about a woman who was killed by this priest because supposedly she was possessed."

That woman was a 23-year-old Romanian nun named Maricica Irina Cornici, who, according to news reports, believed she heard the devil talking to her. A monk bound Cornici to a cross, gagged her with a towel and left her in a dank room for three days without food. She died of suffocation and dehydration more than a year ago.

"That was sort of an inspiration to write about the Western phenomenon of incarcerating somebody if you think they're crazy, whereas in some parts of the world, like in South America, people like this woman would be considered a shaman," the singer said.

But that's not where it ends.

"This album's a commentary about the fear of God instead of the love of God, which goes hand-in-hand with Catholicism," he said. "To me, religion is the reason there is so much conflict in this world, and I think it's just so unnecessary to believe in this blue-eyed, white-bearded, white-haired God. Amputechture is my personal way of describing enlightenment, or just the celebration of this person who is a shaman and not a crazy person. It's about the pineal gland and how it has certain elements that mimic a DMT experience, and how we can come up with cures for cancer and AIDS if we're more in tune with what's going on in the rainforest."

Bixler-Zavala says the Volta started recording Amputechture last year while on tour with System of a Down (see "System Of A Down/ Mars Volta Tour Dates Announced"). Guitarist Omar Rodriguez-Lopez produced the LP, which features eight ethereal tracks.

"We're excited about this album, because I think a lot of people expected us to rest on Frances and keep promoting that," Bixler-Zavala said. "It's great to just keep going and throw new stuff out there. We have the kind of fanbase that demands that. But we're constantly working, or else we get bored."

Rodriguez-Lopez, who is working on music for Guillermo Arriaga's forthcoming film "The Night Buffalo" as well as his own, five-years-in-the-making movie, had a virtual library of ideas he brought to the table for Amputechture, which features the Red Hot Chili Peppers' John Frusciante playing the majority of the album's guitar parts.

"We took an approach on this album of not letting everyone know what's going on with the music," Bixler-Zavala said. "Everyone went in and recorded their part right then and there. Frusciante learned his part five minutes before we'd go in to record it, and the entire album was recorded in big chunks. It's the closest thing to improvisation we can do."

This fall, the Mars Volta will open for the Chili Peppers on the band's North American tour, set to kick off August 11 in Portland, Oregon, and conclude November 5 in St. Paul, Minnesota (see "Red Hot Chili Peppers Reveal Stadium Arcadium Tour Dates"). Afterward, Bixler-Zavala said the Volta will stage their own U.S. headlining tour, which should commence before year's end, with dates running well into 2007.

— Chris Harris

yeah ill have to get ball deep in this one! See you guys there??

Can't wait!!!

I saw them at the Enmore theatre early this year. At times they wander off on esoteric, noodling jams (even more esoteric and noodling than the studio tracks) and it was at these times when I'd think to myself how much my friend Fun-guy McSub-Sub would have absolutely loved it.

And the backdrop to the stage was incredible too!

This time I think I'll bring Fun-guy along and enjoy the Mars Volta in his company.

Hooray, can't wait either. Their new album is really really damn good.. can definatly hear the king crimson influences. I've heard so many reviews of their brilliant live performances. Going to a be a big weekend, methinks.. Mars Volta on thursday and Earthcore on friday. Bring it on!!

just got my tickets today :) c uz there.. at least u ajna :wink:

o yeah morg i think i met ur friend Fun-guy McSub-Sub at a party recently. Or was that Fun-guy Mcboing boing? hmm i forget now. What was i on about again? :scratchhead: o yeah c uz there :bong: :drool:

http://www.frontiertouring.com.au/pages.as...ype=xPO&r=H

The Frontier Touring Company wish to advise that The Mars Volta tour, scheduled to kick off in Australia on November 28, has been postponed.

But never fear! The band have already confirmed new show dates for Australia and New Zealand for March 2007.

Existing tickets remain valid for the new concerts and do not need to be exchanged. Simply rock up on the night and present your original ticket to gain admittance.

Fans unable to attend the new concert dates in Sydney, Melbourne and Perth can secure a refund from their original point of purchase.

In Adelaide refunds in person can be secured from DeCosta Arcade, Cnr Grenfell St & Gawler Pl, Adelaide SA 5000. Refunds by mail should be sent to PO Box 3252, Rundle Mall, Adelaide SA 5000 (pls include a note explaining a refund is required, along with contact details).

In Brisbane refunds in person can be secured from Myer City Box Office, Shop 95, Level E of the Myer Centre, Elizabeth St, Brisbane. Refunds by mail should be sent to GPO Box 1610, Sydney NSW 2001 (pls include a note explaining a refund is required, along with contact details).

Remaining tickets to the new concert dates are on sale now!

Tues 28 Nov 2006 NOW Thurs 15 March 2007

Sydney, Hordern Pavilion

Ticketek 132 849 or www.ticketek.com.au & Utopia

Thu 30 Nov 2006 NOW Wed 14 March 2007

Brisbane Convention Centre

Ticketek 132 849 or www.ticketek.com.au

Sat 02 Dec 2006 NOW Sat 17 March 2007

Melbourne Festival Hall

Ticketmaster 136 100 or www.ticketmaster.com.au

Mon 04 Dec 2006 NOW Mon 19 March 2007

Adelaide, Thebarton Theatre

Venue*Tix 08 8225 8888 or www.venuetix.com.au

Wed 06 Dec 2006 NOW Wed 21 March 2007 Perth, Metro City

BOCS Ticketing 08 9484 1133 or www.bocsticketing.com.au

Sat 09 Dec 2006 NOW Mon 12 March 2007

Auckland, St James Theatre

www.ticketdirect.co.nz Phonecharge 09 379 7979 or Real Groovy Records 0800 GROOVY

well that means it'll be during the uni semester, but not to worry. i'm assuming this has something to do with the drummer situation; the replacement Blake Flemming was recently replaced by a guy called Deantoni Parks - maybe they're practicing with him, maybe they're auditioning. but if it means we get a more solid show then i can wait it out ;)

Edited by ajna

Thanks for that important info, I may not have otherwise known - and turned up at the Nov Sydney show to some shit like Michael Buble :)

is that official - fuck thaqts a spanner in the works - dudes are coming down from sydney to stay that weekend exclusively for that reason...