The Corroboree
Darklight

Fruiting straight off grain spawn?

Someone asked me the other day about if you could fruit edibles straight off grain spawn bags, oysters specifically it was.

I was under the impression its best to use grain to innoculate larger piles of chips for outdoor beds, but this bloke seemed to think you just punched holes in a bag and away it goes- I thought that was only for paper and related teks though, grain needed casing of some kind.

Can't seem to find a clear answer on it anywhere here. Search engine throws up lots of info but nothing specifically about direct fruiting off grain

It won't give yields compared to a more complex fruiting formula, but should still perform well.

King oysters (P. eryngii) fruits incredibly well off grain in vitro...i've never tried to intentionally fruit off grain.

I think the extra step of innoculating larger bulk substrates like straw and paper would be a better use of resources and time, it's only one extra step and it should return much more for your $$. Straw and paper are really cheap, readily available (especially paper) and are easy to pasteurise.

yep oysters fruit of grain no problem at all

esp as said - eryngii

but elm oyster and all P ostreatus and pulms , and djamor do too

probably also the rest

in general they fruit once the substtae is full colonised and temps are right regardless of what the substate is

ive had colonised tubs of millet spawn of eryngii sit around uncontaminated ALL summer doing nothing

then come cold weather and they burst open the lids to fruit!

i dont know of any shroom as contam resiatant as eryngii. must come from being a terrestrial and its fraternity of filthy things...

i would think any shroom that fruits invitro will fruit on grain directly, and if it wont then case it

Agaricus will fruit off grain when cased

mycology is a world of more "can do''s if you poke around a bit

its not safe t say something cant be done, only that your tek and your isolate wont , for you

Mmm- my bad.

Thanks everyone for that, I'll let him know tomorrow. Hope he hasn't opened the bags and mixed the grain through his woodpile already or I'll get my ears singed. :blush: