The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

The size of signature lines

Until a few months ago this has never been an issue, but things are slowly getting out of hand.

I encourage sig lines below posts because they often tell a lot about the member, but these sig lines should not become a nuisance for other members. It kinda started with Eli posting whole tripping conversations :P and others using multiple quotes as part of their sig.

I've been getting a lot of complaints about some threads now being more than 50% sig lines and very little content. One member has taken this to extremes now and there are a couple of threads where the content accounts for less than 10% of the total thread space. I think this is being disrespectful to others and hence it appears we'll need to put aside self regulation and impose some guidelines.

I propose that sig lines

- be limited to a maximum 10 lines of size 2 type, but that folks should try and keep it to less than that.

- Larger font sizes will require a lower line limit (equivalent to the 10 lines of size 2).

- Blog links etc should be counted as part of this 10 line space.

- images in sig lines should meet equivalent size restriction.

Due to some confusion about some rules I am rewriting the rules page (which, as a great testament to the peopel on this forum hasn't even been up for about a year and hasn't really been needed) and would like to incorporate this. Any further suggestions on this or other matters?

I find long ones quite annoying. If they are going to be longer than the average post it just isn't worth it. I think your 10 line rule sounds good.

For a while I had 'Is this sig too long?' at the end of my sig, but no one ever actually told me whether it was or not. I think mine is about 8 lines but because of my profile info and avatar on the left it gets stretched.

Edited by creach

i cant remember ever having tripping conversations in my sig??? You sure that was me T ?

sure i had some ramblings, maybe an excessive amount of quotes, but nothing like a conversation..

I edited my sig just recently and only just realised id accidently increased the size of the sig box in the process, which i have just fixed.

Sorry if it was a nuisance to some...

Edited by ({E})

i cant remember ever having tripping conversations in my sig??? You sure that was me T ?

sure i had some ramblings, maybe an excessive amount of quotes, but nothing like a conversation..

LOL, an excessive amount of quotes could always be misread as a conversation - even if just a very disjointed one :P

"acacia yeah - come to save the motherfucking day" - that was yours wasn't it? To be honest that's all I remember, but there were quite a few more similar quotes that may well have been a conversation between you and CS :lol:

I think part of the problem with that sig line was that it was done in larger font, so it took up a lot more space.

I reckon I have a pretty good memory, and if I remember correctly, E's sig was only 3-4 lines max.

"P>T>L>U

Acacia come to save the motherfuckin day

It's all love "

Or something similar.

i dont think my sig ever took up more space then yours dose sina, but i must admit i had a few random quotes in there...

This was it until recently:

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

PLANT LOVE!!!

Acacia, come to save the mother fukn day yeah!

PTLU its evolution baby

(phenethylamines,tryptamines,love,unity)

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

About 7 lines in total.

And before that it was:

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Evolving to a fluctuating vibration of cosmic energy

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

which was quite minimal really!

but anyway, as torsten said its possible i had some larger cases in there which may have meant that the total space exceeded the standard ten lines...

Its all rather trivial really, but if it gets up peoples noses then its best to have some kind of limit, as Torsten has pointed out.

ummm yeah, I just used you as an example cos your's was the only sig line I could think of at that moment :P

No idea if anything changed around here since I first made a signature in 2012, but this week I wanted to change my signature, and put into it my new website URL, but I can't.

Either I am blinded to an edit signature box hidden somewhere in the profile page, or, . . . (might be we have to be stuck with old signatures unless we get special permission perhaps)...

I would say please if I knew how to direct my please properly.