The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
planthelper

loph damage

Argh! I hate those thingies!

They don't seem to attack Trichocereus, dunno about lophs 'cos all mine are inside.

They do make a mess of almost all my other plants though!

Sorry to see those babies!

:slap::slap:

Damn, I'd be pissed! Can't they find something less valuable to eat? Maybe some lettuce or something. :ana:

Sorry to see it PH... those green grubs have an amazing appetite ehy..

I have similar problems wiht the water rats around here. the size of fookn possums I tells ya.

post-70-1158046277_thumb.jpgpedro damage, caused by some black bird which comes in hordes into my garden and looks for food.

100_0396.JPG

100_0396.JPG

PH, that is exactly the same type of damage I've been seeing on mine. I swear, It is almost enough to give me a heart attack.

One encouraging note is that they always seem to stop munching before they kill the scion. They just mangle the hell out of it.

:uzi:

If they're after food, you should leave food for them to eat instead of the cacti...

But, maybe they are actually after the cactus? hehe

using really fine fly screen as a protective barrier works and doesnt impede growth as long as there isnt physical contact.

its not all that ascetic, but u have to ask whats more important!

woah! damn!!

crazy blackbird too!!!! i think a blackbird is to blame for pecking one of my peyotes. .. its got 3 little holes in it !!! not much damage though. ..

woah! damn!!

crazy blackbird too!!!! i think a blackbird is to blame for pecking one of my peyotes. .. its got 3 little holes in it !!! not much damage though. ..

i guess it's not a bird that caused this damage but rather a snail or a grub, which proly hides somewhere to come back for more. so lift up all your pots and take a good look, specialy at the bottom where it's moist, chances are you find the culprits there and so are able to avoid more damage.

i learned this the hard way, as my holes got bigger and bigger everyday....

be vigilant, check on the wellbeing of your loved ones everyday!

None of this is unusual

at least with teh peres damge you will quickly get muliple heads - so no loss at all

several birds attack cacti like that

sometimes the chuffs, or kookaburra or others

dont know if its for grubs or because they are bored. either is possible

if the bollworm is hammering your cacti remove long grass and weeds nearby and coat the tip with derris dust (rotenone)

:BANGHEAD2: Had a loph graft about 20c piece size have it's entire top eaten off by grubs/caterpillars this week, and all the pups gorged on, ah well it's got 'character' now lol

Biggest cacti - bird problem around here is the Currawongs, especially on fleshy pachanoi, their beaks just rip through them leaving deep gaping cavities...it's a real pain when they attach stumps as you can't really callous them and water eventually starts to pool in them.