The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
psycho0

Best soil mix for tobacco seeds?

can anyone tell me what the best mix of soil is for growing tobacco(N.tabacum) seeds?

thankyou

Sofar I have had excellent results just using potting soil (without vermiculite or perlite). I firm it down with a brick to make it level, sprinkle the seeds on it, and water it with a little water sprayer until they are 1-2 cm, then water from the bottom. Its never failed me as long as I have a little fungicide on hand. When they are about 5 cm tall GENTLY transplant.

when transplanting make sure to use very rich fertile soil. they are heavy feeders and will respond well if pampered.

Guest reville

Nicotiana rustica is entirely different to N tabacum

Its got big seeds and come up with a vengeance- no need to pamper.

I planted some in a trya with other herbs expecting some piss ant seedlings like tabacum and the things came up so fast and grew so fas and thick that they choked everything else out.I was growing in home made compost

I then planted them in my garden with some more of the same compost and they have grown marvelously in the perth winter.

If you keep on pinching out the buds they get bigger leaves.

I made a cigar from some leaves and although it didnt burn well (curing process stiil unknown to me - though i believe they store cigar tobacco for 2 years before rolling)

It tasted great - a non smker tried it and pronounced it great. he then tried some rolly tobacco and coughed and splutterred.

We have winner

my rustica seed is smaller than my tabacum seeds. go figure.

thankyou all for your help! biggrin.gif

Guest electro

[This message has been edited by electro (edited 13 October 2002).]

Does Tobacco prefer grow in full sun, or doesn't might partly shade?? I am talking about growing up here in Brissy....If it doesnt might partly shade, it is better for Tobacco plants to get morning sun/arvo light shade or shade morning/sunny warm arvo?? because I am trying to work out which area is best...

[This message has been edited by WarpedAstro (edited 04 September 2002).]

Guest reville
Originally posted by Torsten:

my rustica seed is smaller than my tabacum seeds. go figure.

Now that *is* wierd as the rustica i speak of came to me from Sholto who claims they are 3rd generation ex SAB stock.

We spoke about this at the conference while you sat at the seed table and i gave you those seeds incl the Venezuelan 'rustica' that isnt (Its a tabacum) and this rustica im talking of

You were interested as you thought it was a named variety you had lost.

Id imagine it must have been amongst your first sales.

Can u remember what it was?

Guest reville
Originally posted by WarpedAstro:

Does Tobacco prefer grow in full sun, or doesn't might partly shade??

Any and either

Plants grown for cigars are subjected to different conditions depending on their end use.

Wrapper leaves need to be big and perfect so they are shaded in the filed by shades which cause the leaves to grow large and notas succulent.

I guess it depends what you want it for

Id say mulched and in full sun at least for a brisvegas or Perth winter.

So Im wondering how do you people cure your baccy?

Heres something i found last night...

TOBACCO SECTION ~

Family: Solanaceae

A pipe in the morning

assists the action of the bowels

This is a general introduction to growing the various varieties of this most popular yet maligned herb, otherwise known as Pipeweed and Sotweed. Cultivation: Easy. Mix very small seed with sand prior to sowing, in order to prohibit crowded germination. Sow seed in flats or directly on a fine seedbed in the spring or early summer. Press hard into surface of soil (light-dependent germinator). Do not allow to dry out or freeze. Germ. in 10-14 days. Transplant or thin seedlings to 1 to 2 foot spacing. Tobacco is a heavy feeder, and likes a well- fertilized soil and a side-dressing of good compost or rotted manure. The plant is shallow-rooted, so be careful not to disturb the roots when cultivating, and do not over water. Tobacco takes only 80 days from planting the seed to harvesting the leaf. All our Tobaccos are germ. tested and comply with federal regulations

Hopi..................Nicotiana rustica

Annual. Thick, rounded leaves with very high nicotine content. This is the most northern hardy of the tobaccos. Originally from the garden of a shaman.

Huichol..................Nicotiana langsdorfii

Annual. Very potent ceremonial and smoking tobacco. Small leaves on long petioles, short growing species with decorative, pendulous yellow blossoms, to 18 inches.

Scherazi.........Nicotiana tabacum

This is a special Iranian cultivar, which is darker leaved and stronger tasting than the relatively light “Tobacco, Smoking” listed below. Impressively flowered lavender to 5 feet. Highly recommended.

Smoking.........Nicotiana tabacum

This is a very mellow smoking tobacco which matures readily, even if the summer is cool or the growing season short. Flowers lavender to 5 feet. Highly recommended.

Tree...................Nicotiana glauca

Perennial. Originally from Argentina and Bolivia, this Tobacco is now widely naturalized in dry, desert areas around the globe. The bright yellow, long-tubed flowers are awesome. Smokeable. A poultice of the leaves is known to heal wounds and skin infections. Germ in 18 days

Trumpet........Nicotiana sylvestris

Annual. Heirloom smoking tobacco from North Carolina. Makes masses of decorative and aromatic white/pink trumpet flowers. This species produces the largest leaves. They are very high in nicotine. Plant 2 feet apart. Flowers to 8 feet.

On the Curing and Twisting of Tobacco

As the plant matures, you can cut off the developing flowers to make the leaves grow bigger. The very lowest leaves are generally poor quality, known as “sand lugs.” The top leaves are thicker, and have a higher nicotine content. The bigger they are, and the less damaged, the better the quality. When the leaves begin to go a little yellow on the plant, they are ready to harvest. Cut the entire plant off at the base, and hang upside down in a barn or open shed. The leaves will slowly turn from green to a golden brown, as they dry in the day and take on moisture at night. This is how they cure. When they are entirely golden brown, wait for a humid day so the leaves will be pliable, and pluck the leaves from the stalk. Spread a leaf out on your thigh, and begin layering more leaves on top of it, alternating tip to base with each leaf. Do this with seven leaves. Then roll them up tightly the long way like a big cigar, keeping the outside leaf smooth. Then begin twisting the cigar in opposite directions with your two hands, creating a tight loop at the top, and allowing the ends to wrap around each other in the classic shape of a “plug.” Hang by the stove for a day or two to dry to smokeability, then store in plastic or glass jars. To use, simply slice a thin cross section from the end of the plug, which will produce the general crinkly quality of prepared tobacco.

~ END OF SMOKING SECTION ~

Originally posted by reville:

Now that *is* wierd as the rustica i speak of came to me from Sholto who claims they are 3rd generation ex SAB stock.

my seed form this year is from a different strain than our original.

You were interested as you thought it was a named variety you had lost.

Id imagine it must have been amongst your first sales.

Can u remember what it was?

The first rustica I ever had was var kessu. Not sure if I ever had enough to sell though - must have been cos it's the only one I had.

Guest electro

Guest electro

Has anyone tried smoking N. glauca? I've heard some shocking stories about people dying after using N. glauca leaves as a herbal seasoning by mistake. After hearing that, I wouldn't smoke it through a barge-pole - until i find out what the go is. I think the toxin found in the peoples blood was anabasine...?

Guest reville

I think it has been used as a tobacco by Aboriginal australians post introduction.

Anabasine has teratogenic activity.Not nice.

no, problems, very easy to grow, curing the leaves is the tricky part.

cairns hinterland used to be a major baccy producing area, now all coffee.