The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
strangebrew

creach's unknown euphorbia

Question

Hey creach, I think this is still E obesa. http://www.flickr.com/photos/indole/173216469

If it's not a X it's either old and been severely neglected or else it's one of the oddity's that grows upwards quite quickly, because of it's unusual skinniness I suspect the latter as old upright specimens are usually quite thick.

It would be cool to X it and see if that trait carries on. I think it's a female, if your other isn't male I'll take a closer look at mine next time it flower's.

12 answers to this question

yes I have noted similarities between that one and my obesa. I bought the unknown for $3 from a market which counts against it being a pure obesa which are usually quite expensive.

I think my obesa is a male, however they seem to flower at very different times.

And thanks for making a thread about my plant :).

Actually it's more horizontal than vertical isn't it! :lol:

It can happen though, apparently this one was only 5 years old.

post-608-1156513068_thumb.jpg

What is it with Euphorbia spp atm? I seem to have suddenly catapaulted into an alternate universe where everyone I meet is obsessed with them.

I've gone from living in a universe with absolutely no Euphorbias in it to being completely surrounded by Euphorbia people. I suppose its better than being in the Universe Full Of Accordians- but can someone explain the attraction? :lol:

LOL I wouldn't say I'm obsessed with them. Not in the way that I am with lophs or trichs, or even other ornamental succulents. But I do find them interesting, mainly because of the incredible morphological diversity found within the genus. I just like showing them to people and saying "this is a euphorbia, and this is a euphorbia, and" *picks a weedy E. peplus or terracina out of the ground* "this is also a euphorbia". So much taxonomical fun in one genus.

The obesa is by far my favourite because of it's globular and loph-like appearance when young. But I like some of the others because of their clustering habit.

It is etiolated E. obesa. It would be more round if you gave it more light.

Hmmm... very possible, but I'm not convinced.

LOL

ive taken up Euphorbias independently too

for form the obesa types are great but i really love the medusas head types when they get old and get the fibonacci sequence centre

mines in flower now

post-11-1156992134_thumb.jpgpost-11-1156992364_thumb.jpg

E stellata has a mad caudex when raised

euphorbia-stellata.jpg

just put down seed of E gorgonis and E balsamifera last night

many more to come

anyone got a spare cut of E virosa? nice little arrow poison that one, not that half a dozen others arent.

also i would never have imagined id need to ask but mine must be the only garden in australia with no Petty spurge/ radium weed? (Euphorbia peplus).

can someone spare some? pref in brisbane so could pick it up live as i doubt itll travel well

info...

Radium weed pdf RIRDC

radium weed RIRDC

Euphorbia_medusas_head.jpg

Euphorbia_medusas_head_closeup.jpg

Euphorbia_medusas_head.jpg

Euphorbia_medusas_head_closeup.jpg

Edited by Rev

Yeah - there are two strong differences which are why I'm not convinced.

Firstly my plant doesn't look etiolated like yours, which gets thinner and fatter with each growing season, does. Mine stays at a constant width all the way up, and my entirely non-rational feeling is that it likes being the width that it is.

Secondly the patterning. All the obesas I've seen have had at least some degree of stripes, purple, or other forms of patterning. This one is pretty much green and grey/brown with some dull stripes.

So my feeling is that it's an obesa hybrid or a closely related species. But I just don't get the obesa vibe from it. However, I'm not an Euphorbia expert by any means and I'm definitely open to being wrong about this.

Edited by creach

Well the mystery Euphorbia and my male obesa got down to some hot sweaty plant love - and now she's carrying babies:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/indole/275065563/

Hopefully in a month or two we'll know if they're viable. Any tips on growing this species from seed? I'll probably just do a standard cactus technique if no one has any other ideas.

What is it with Euphorbia spp atm? I seem to have suddenly catapaulted into an alternate universe where everyone I meet is obsessed with them.

but can someone explain the attraction? :lol:

Xeriscaping. The drought is making people look differently at what they plant. Euphorbias are easier to grow than most cacti, often look more like real plants, and are mostly less spiky. Most will also deal with being inundated every now and then due to their seasonal climate. This makes them attractive for the suburban garden with water restrictions and more versatile than cacti.

I still prefer cacti though.

haha i was told euphorbia was where botanists threw plants that didnt fit anywhere else.