The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
SaBReT00tH

Carnegia Gigantea (Saguaro) grafting

Does anyone know if any of the Carnegia family can be grafted to Trichocereus (Echinopsis)?? Or does it have to be grafted to other Carnegias? If so, are there other faster growing Carnegia species which Carnegia Gigantea could be grafted to to speed up growth?

:) carnegia works fine on trichs SaBReT00tH. :)

growth rate is definitely improved. heres one i prepared earlier....

gallery_281_3_107012.jpg

• Like 2

sorry to bump this old thread, but I want to graft one of my Saguaro seedlings onto pereskiopsis, and i was wondering if anyone had experince rooting a degrafted Saguaro? Ive read up on this, and rooting a Saguaro cutting seems difficult, about 50/50 success rate and up to 2 years before root formation, but this is with an ancient Saguaro arm. I cant find any information about rooting a young Saguaro degraft.

Anyone have knowledge on this?

... Or does it have to be grafted to other Carnegias? If so, are there other faster growing Carnegia species which Carnegia Gigantea could be grafted to to speed up growth?

Carnegiea is a monotypic genus, an unusual case where the genus and single species Carnegiea gigantea ("Saguaro") are one and the same.

• Like 1

I don't graft my Saguaro seedlings - I just put them in cups for a couple years and then into 1 gal pots. :wink:

Some local growers have successfully rooted grafts, and even arm cuttings! Their advice is to be patient and not over water them. Also provide enough light for energy during the process.

SaguaroSeedling.jpg

• Like 7