The Corroboree
prier

Australian Psychoactive Plant List

What is the progress on this list? I am in the process of amending this list and researching the active constituents, plant locales, uses ect; anyone know what's happening with this, did it end up on wiki? Or did it all fall by the wayside? An interesting [but time consuming project], this information should be worked on for it is an important work for all Australian ethnobotanist communities, can someone please get back to me on this.

Thanks

• Like 1

how is Centella asiatica (Gotu Kola) psychoactive???

supposed aphrodisiac properties, increased concentration and stamina. ?

i wouldn't know for sure, just what i found.

x peace

OK I am reviving this dead thread. This is the information so far gleaned from all around the place and is no way complete, but it's a start. It's just a rough draft right now, and is a bit messy, though if people express interest I would be inclined to further the research. Thanks to prier for starting the list and inspiring me to start researching. I think prier also has some more info but haven't had contact recently for more input.

Here is the PDF.

_Australian_Psychoactive.pdf

Thanks Phosphene_Dream ;)

Top work

Thanks cisumevil, will update it over the next week or so. There is certainly some interesting plants here that may well get overlooked by the community.

Thanks Phosphene!! It is a fantastic start and would make for a very interesting read once complete :) It would be great to have a couple pickies for each article - perhaps if you need some help tracking down info/pix then I could offer some assistance (just give me a list of names and I'll see what I can do :wink:)? If not, I'll just quietly grab a copy when the final is in print :lol:

Definitely like to take you up on the picture gathering offer Ace, that would be fantastic. What I will do first I think is gather the names of plants that I have already got information for [name to a face] and pass them on to you so we can put them with the information. Then that in turn will get me going on gathering more information for the other plants.

Thanks for that.

Collated. Well, as much as possible at this point - only via Google image search, there are bound to be better pics available, but this should be a pretty good start.

DAMMIT! Its not uploading... Phosphene, I'll just email it to you :)

Edited by Ace

Wow...did this ever take off and get completed? The PDF is bonza, but the updated one with pics would be tops

Edited by gtarman
  • Like 1

I noticed Acuminata was not on the list and wonder?

I'm also wondering which has the greater concentrations of the spirit mollecule, the thin or broad phyllode?.

13 hours ago, stona86 said:

Did the PDF get completed with pics?

If not, buy the pdf of Snu's Garden of Eden and do a word search for Australia. AU$12

Even after half a decade it's still the most comprehensive and timely list of ethnobotanically interesting species. It's still my go-to book for most things

Snu Voogelbreinder's "Garden of Eden"

• Like 3

Thanks mate Its hard to find concrete information regarding ethno plants in aus.

On 1/8/2007 at 10:19 PM, vapour said:

Centella asiatica is described as a narcotic in lassak & mccarthy's 'Australian Medicinal Plants' (p 185). This in turn is probably a reference to Mrs Grieve's 'A Modern Herbal' which says "In small doses it acts as a stimulant, in large doses as a narcotic, causing stupor and headache and with some people vertigo and coma" (p 425). The chemical constituents of Centella growing in temperate zones may differ from the kind growing in northern Australia.

I had no idea,  thats amazing!

Thankyou @Catfood what a great resource! 

Interesting that Homo sapiens made the list, can anyone expand / explain?

5-HO-DMT (bufotenin)

• Homo sapiens (humans)
    • Autistic people
    • Schizophrenic people