The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Tong1

New member seeking I.D. 2

Question

Here's the 2nd cacti in question. T. pachanoi right?

post-1609-1154834132_thumb.jpg

I have a couple more, the id of which I am unsure...will take some pics and post later.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Tong1

13 answers to this question

Looks like a pachanoi to me.

Welcome to the forums Tong

A beautiful pach at that :)

Where abouts are you?

Yep, nice pachanoi.

to save space on the forum these three id requests could have been posted in the same thread, just something to keep in mind for next time

I'd say it looks like scop X pach or scop X mac type intermediate. The V shapes and areole size and colors are what indicate this to me.

Aye, that's a good call. It is much more like a scop with those flat areoles too.

I have some plants from SS02 X T pachanoi (Backeberg) that look so close to pachanoi that they could be identified as it, but they have subtle differences, one of which is the V shaped lines above the areoles. I have been thinking the short spine trait is one to pursue and select for, for some reason or other.

double post

Edited by kakti

Achaea do your pachanois not have V-notches above the spines? If so I better snap some pics :)

As for the OP, thats a nice cactus, I dont know if I would consider it a Pachanoi, at least not the Backeberg clone. The spines dont look quite right to me. Whatever it is, its beautiful

It depends on the clone. I have some plants that look identical to T pachanoi except for subtle differences, when they are SS01 X pach and SS02 X pach. I have several palnts sold as T pachanoi, most grown from seed, though they all tend to have longer spines than the Backeberg clone. My backebergs have less well pronounced V shaped lines when compared to many of my other plants, also the profile from the side is different. They are not so glaucous.

The color and V shaped lines and profile of the plant in the picture make me think is it a scop X a glaucous form of T bridgesii or what gets called T macrogonus here. Well the areoles too actually.

Edited by Archaea

Well maybe it is a pachanoi. If you discount typical "Backeberg" looking clones, other photo's of supposed pachanoi often show a plant with straighter ribs and small areoles similar to scopulicola.

One of Knize's KK339's. post-608-1155207908_thumb.jpg

This photo was taken in NZ, so it is possible "true" pachanoi are available over there. Grrr.

post-608-1155207673_thumb.jpg

post-608-1155207908_thumb.jpg

post-608-1155207908_thumb.jpg

Tong1, check out the following if you haven't already. I think this is some of what strangebrew is referring to.

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/inde...showtopic=11181

Regardless of any similarity in growth to T.scopulicola, I do not think these sorts of T. pachanoi have a particularly close relationship to T. scopulicola relatively speaking. Areoles on these sorts of T. pachanoi may be small in cultivation and when grown at less than full diameter, but any photo of this sort of plant in nature shows larger areoles.

~Michael~

Edited by M S Smith

Nevertheless f1 intermediate material can look identical to T pachanoi, even with hybrids not involving T pachanoi. Some SS02 X T pachanoi won't be identified, not even by Mike, as having SS02 influence, while in others it is much more clear.