The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
sobriquet

E. novogranatense availability.

I don't know enough about the biology of E novo to decide whether or not it would fall into this category.

that genus is very much a weedy genus

fats growing colonisers of landslides and forest edges

self fertile, spread by birds attracted to the red berries

The species is very rare in Australia so saying it wont be a weed because it isnt yet isnt good enough

the strains around are colombian or javanese and adapted to the humid lowlands

but as a species it has the ability to spread into much drier habitats as does trujillo coca

as australias tropics get so mahhered by cyclones and are much more open and sunny than the equatorial belt there is plenty of room for novo

to say it doesnt like the tableands is also just anecdotal evidence. in the end the plant will show us what it likes and not the other way around

who here has tried cultivating syrian rue? would you ever believe it could be a weed?

also Olives are an amazingly destructive pest. look at the adelaide hills

they spread rapidly (by crows) and compete strongly. Dry out the subsoil preventing native plant growth

theyeve been there longer than a lot of other places but with all the olives going in everywhere you can count on future explosions

Pines are also very invasive and radically alter the environmnets they colonise

some species are notriceably better off, like orchids, moisses and fersn but most are eliminated over time. they lower groundwater near aquifers that support native heathlands and cause their decline

Australia has many many sleeper weeds. weeds that will take off when the chance comes along

the introduction of the bumble bee to tassie and its inevitable jump to the mainland will make previously harmless species weeds

and has the potential to facilitate the creation of new weedy hybrids as we grow such a slection of related genera in our flower beds

just in one creekbank weve been rehabilitating we deal with the following weeds - not incl the exotic grasses and herbs

camphor, large leaf privet small leaf privet, cadaghi, cassia, wild rose, blackberry, cotoneaster, 4 species of asparagus, brazilian pepper, madeira vine, chinese celtis, peach, lantana, ipomoea purpurea, 'freckles', elderberry, erythrina indica, willow, mothvine, mother of millions, cats claw creeper, jacaranda and duranta

as far as a list goes its a small one, sites nearer the coast are often nothing but weeds and the list twice as long.

australias doesnt have a weed problem , its a catastrophe

Bit off topic, but what is the correct pronunciation of 'cotoneaster'?

Would it be cotton-easter or cotton-ee-aster? Something else?

Cot-tone-ee-aster :wink:

lol - thanks tonic - thats the way I'd imagined it, just needed a bit of reassurance :P

ahh the good old days of bonsai...

No worries.

I love bonsai. Admiring them and growing them. Did you used to grow them?

Was it Cotoneaster horizontalis that you used to grow?

shit tepa that signature sounds like something off a homophobic hate site....

Edited by frank

Did you used to grow them?

Yeah used to ahve a few, the more common varieties - acer palmatum (Jap maple), junipers, ginkgo, etc. Never actually had a cotoneaster - wasnt a big fan of their shape... Still, there are a few absolute beauties out there - there is a local bonsai club here in Canberra, signed up ages ago, but never went to any meets :( They have a big nursery with heaps of bonsai for sale and show - a massive Swamp Cyperus - a good 4ft tall and a trunk about 20cms across with big butressing roots - just amazing. And plenty of other really old specimens, and lots of stock plants to start your own...

There is a club in Canberra eh.

Might have to have a look. Mine need a good pruning but its been so long since I have played with them that I can't remember how to do it properly. I have a conifer and they need to be trimmed properly cos they don't shoot on old wood, don't want to permanetly disfigure my baby.

Where abouts are they located Ace?

Lol - wish mine were still around but the droughts over the last few years didnt leave me with many - I think my only surviving one is a nice big juniper which desperately needs attention - perhaps I will pamper it the next weekend I have free...

Hazza - they are located in Pialligo - 'Ledanta Bonsai Club'. Have a look out at Rodney's in Pialligo - they have divided the shop into a few different sub-nurseries. One with bonsai, one with cottage plants, some with trees etc. Every now and then there is a load of cacti out there - I've seen a pach out there once or twice - and a nice big monstrose cereus - but very exxy - I think that one was about $70...

Memebrship fees are a bit high, but that includes discounts and training courses (at an extra fee, tho), so its pretty cool. Now that I think about it - I dont think I actually signed up for the membership - I just got the info for it ages ago lol :P My neighbour apparently used to have his own club, but I dont think he is that interested in them any more...

Will go have a look see.

Might do a training course to refresh my memory, never had proper insruction so it'll be good.

Thanx Ace.

Well worth a gander, even if you only check out their bonsai :wink:

They have a big nursery with heaps of bonsai for sale and show - a massive Swamp Cyperus - a good 4ft tall and a trunk about 20cms across with big butressing roots - just amazing.

Swamp Cypress make gorgeous bonsai - I don't think they develop "knees" when grown in pots, but they're still great-looking trees - nicely coloured/textured bark, and the tiny little leaflets help with scale.

They have a big nursery with heaps of bonsai for sale and show - a massive Swamp Cyperus - a good 4ft tall and a trunk about 20cms across with big butressing roots - just amazing.

Swamp Cypress make gorgeous bonsai - I don't think they develop "knees" when grown in pots, but they're still great-looking trees - nicely coloured/textured bark, and the tiny little leaflets help with scale.

Interesting, that may well be my old house/property!

My family used to own a big nursery in pillaigo for many years in the 80's, then sold it on and last time I went there (5yrs ago) it was still being used as a nursery, so it may be the place your talking about... SO MANY childhood memories.. there is an awsome underground bomb shelter there that I used to play in as a young'n...

Is it the place with the front fence made out of this browny colored twig/straw type of material?

Really Andy?? What a coincidence!! :P

It is down the end of the main street of Pialligo (almost directly across from the airport) - but all the fences at this place seem pretty new - mostly English Box hedges with new looking pillars between - absolutely beautiful area!

I'll have to go for a drive out that way this arvo (on my route home from work :P) and suss it out - cant think of any twig/straw fences off the top of my head. Any other details? I might see if I can get a happy snap of the place if I find the right one! There is a few nurseries out that way - I could count about 7 in my head (me so clever! lol) and a few that open up to sell seasonal fruit/veg and worm castings etc.

If you are ever in this small town - I suggest going for a look out at pialligo - its just near the Canberra Airport. Plenty of very nice old nurseries, lots of stock, and some really nice shops for lunch :)