The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
PD.

Another trich I.D.

Question

Any ideas?

The owner couldnt tell me and asked if i could try get a possible I.D.

img0046yc0.jpg

img0047ph7.jpg

9 answers to this question

Looks like a T peruvianus form, but honestly many intermediates are said to exist between T peruvianus and T pachanoi, I would not be shocked to learn this is one but both of those species vary from seed anyhow.

cuzcoensis? (sp)

beautiful specimen! i love the spine colouring and the blueish tones on the new growth

What a beast! those spines are gnarly... would be great to use for a fence-line when you need a bit of security/privacy :lol:

:) Awesome specimen! I would lean some what towards a Funky Peruvanoid and or hybrid of some sort what ever it may be it is beautiful!! Looks amazingly Identical to a large specimen i picked up early last year. Sadly the funky long spines were cut off.. probably to lessen the risks of getting spiked :P

med_gallery_704_3_551859.jpg

This was taken some months ago the pups are alot bigger but i dont think the spines are as big/long as PD's specimens, But notice the main stem of the mother plant has very similar colouration and shape.. i will take a few more pics soon maybe some closer shots of the spines and pups.

Edited by Young Tripper

Looks a little marogonus to me, similar in some respects to my unknown beasty:

IMG_2877.jpg

IMG_2870.jpg

:worship: bit that is one kick ass beauty!!! :wub: Those pups look exactly identical to the ones on my suspected peru/marcogonoid... should be sunny tomoz so ill get these photos. Has there been any bioessay reports of alkaloid activity of that Big Blue Beast of yours bit?

:worship: bit that is one kick ass beauty!!! :wub: Those pups look exactly identical to the ones on my suspected peru/marcogonoid... should be sunny tomoz so ill get these photos. Has there been any bioessay reports of alkaloid activity of that Big Blue Beast of yours bit?

Thanks man. Wish I could take the credit, but that has to go to corromandel cacti here in auckland who I purchased it from a couple of months back (NZ$36 :excl: ). It hasn't been assayed as I wouldn't know how to do it accurately. I don't think I'll ever be able to bring myself to cut it at all, and I'm having similar doubts about my other cacti now :blink:

Passive, whatever that plant is it is incredibly beautiful. It is truly like nothing I have seen before. The heavy spines in youth, which thin out a bit with age (making the old growth look like T. pachanoi), is facinating. I wouldn't quite put it into the T. macrogonus sort, and might have it more over towards T. pachanoi, and possibly a hybrid of sorts as Archaeae pointed toward. Oh if I could only get one of these over to the US! I absolutely love that plant!

~Michael~