The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Trip Dr

IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR HOME BREWERS

Well i just thought i had better share a little experience i just had so others can avoid the same fate as me. Occasionally i make a batch of home brew ginger beer(alcoholic of course). Now im a bit of an experimenter so i like to add a little bit of this and that to a couple of bottles when i do a batch. For example if i do a 30 bottle batch, i might make 3 or 4 with extras. I might throw in a piece of cinnamon, lotus flowers, whatever etc. Well about 3 months ago when i did the last batch i decieded i would see what a bit of ganja would go like. I Crushed up one small(~300mg?) bud and chucked it in a bottle while filling.

Anyhow, feeling thursty i put a warm bottle in the freezer for about 30min(i find this is about how long it takes to be perfictly cold for a normal brew). After the elapsed time i removed the bottle and proceeded to take the cap off(crown seal). This is where things went pear shaped. The moment i cracked the seal the lid shot off and a stream of liquid shot up to the roof! Sticky liquid rained down covering the entire kitchen and part of the dining room. I tried to plug the hole with my thumb but this caused spray in every direction! All this excitement only lasted a second but that was long enough to empty 3/4 of the bottle and leave my place with a sticky floor reminiscent of a nightclub. :wacko:

Moral of the story: experiments can be dangerous, and extreemly messy :excl:

[i doubt the ganja was the cause of the excess pressure in the bottle.

moreover it may have been a bit too much sugar added on bottling.

Hey Trip Dr, try 2 birds eye chillis dropped in a bottle. Very nice if your suffering from a cold or want to cleanse the nasal passages! :lol::lol:

and added natural fermentable sugars from the ganja itself, but probably not anything else

and added natural fermentable sugars from the ganja itself, but probably not anything else

I concur.

Well i dont reckon it was excess sugar i added, i got one of those measuring spoon dealies and none of the other bottles popped like that. :huh:

I reckon natural fermentable sugars sounds plausable. Im sure i could convince people it was :)

Dunno, i reckon if it was on tape it'd be a winner on funniest home videos :P

There is mucho fun to be had home brewing...bottle explosions and all!! :lol:

Curious though Dr. Trip, did you get to taste any of what was left in the bottle?

Thanks

I also make a ginger beer every now and again and have a bad habbit of adding things!

You saved me for sure..... lol

Might try it with resin ;)

I'm wondering if you would get any benefit from the bud anyway...i mean THC doesnt mix well at all without alcohols that are less than 50%, so you might get the slightest buzz out of it if anything, which would likely be masked by the alcohol.

Yeah was about one middy left. Was pretty nice actually, the mj really added a distinct flavour and smell. Like drinking weed i guess :blink: As far as effects though, got squat as there wasnt enought to drink. Worth experimenting with, just be careful when you open!