The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

New in stock at SAB: Fresh Anadenanthera seed & Ilex paraguayensis seed

Fresh Anadenanthera seed as promised a few weeks ago is now available. This seed is straight off the trees in Argentina. Viability only a few weeks, so don't delay.

Also from Argentina we managed to secure a small quantity of very fresh Ilex paraguayensis (yerba mate) seed. Seeing that sporadically we (and many other professional propagators) have great problems propagating this one from cuttings, this fresh seed is a rarity and a cheap way to get some good plants. The seed is sourced from the government department that researches and oversees yerba mate quality in Argentina. This guarantees species ID and strain quality. In the last 6 months I have seen at least a dozen very distinct varieties or even separate species that are sold as Ilex paraguayensis in australia. Surely some of these are misidentified. This is the real thing. Get it while it is fresh.

awhile ago i purchased some Anandenanthera seeds from SAB and they weren't fresh.

There was a note saying that when SAB got more 'fresh' seeds i would be able to get some for free.

Is this still available?

and what are the prices for the Ilex?

thanx

[This message has been edited by psycho0 (edited 28 August 2002).]

ilex is not only a hard cutting but

said at c. raetsch even harder to raise

from seed. i know the monks way of

doing it..feed to chooks and sow after!

unfortunately it was slaves work...

Originally posted by psycho0:

awhile ago i purchased some Anandenanthera seeds from SAB and they weren't fresh.

most of the Anandenanthera seed we have sold over the years was not claimed to be viable (see note in webstore). Early this year I expected fresh seed, however by the time we got around to sending it the viability had dropped dramatically (delays due to harvest, conference etc). So I offered anyone who had ordered one of those large fresh seed packs the opportunity to get either a large pack of fresh seed at half price or a little standard pack (not available via the webstore) for free (ie part of a normal order, or if postage/handling is paid).

and what are the prices for the Ilex?

all standard seed packs at SAB are $4. Prices and availability always as per webstore (now updated weekly).

Originally posted by planthelper:

ilex is not only a hard cutting but

said at c. raetsch even harder to raise

from seed. i know the monks way of

doing it..feed to chooks and sow after!

unfortunately it was slaves work...

This is only partially true. Seed that has not dried out will easily germinate without scarification (chook gizzards), thus the importance of sourcing fresh and top quality seed. Old seed coats will need to be scarified by acids or other methods and germination will be poor.

Torsten, please keep some viable Anadenanthera seeds for me, will send $18 next week.

Also, if possible, some of the Ilex...

www.shaman-australis.com/~gomaos

torsten, i just emailed you my order

and posted the money order.

Guest reville

Hi Torsten

I do not have the $ or time ATM to deal with fresh seed

so i was wondering if this will be an annual event? Because id really like to get some next time - i *almost* suceeded with the last batch.

Id like to get some to a friend in Darwin.

The Ilex is a one-off. But the Anadenanthera will hopefully be regular. Come and see me and we'll sort something out. I still owe you...

Guest reville

Well ill definitely take up the invite to visit you two at wandjina - i hear its coming along really nicely

C U soon

Originally posted by reville:

Well ill definitely take up the invite to visit you two at wandjina - i hear its coming along really nicely

C U soon

Coming along very nicely. We just got a big red shiny toy that will make our work much easier.

"The Ilex is a one-off."

That's a pity. The more mate we get growing in this country, the better, in my opinion. Personally, I can't get enough of the stuff.

I suppose it's time again for me to put out my periodic request regarding Ilex guayusa. Does anyone have any, or know where to get it?

Originally posted by Gwydion:

"The Ilex is a one-off."

That's a pity. The more mate we get growing in this country, the better, in my opinion. Personally, I can't get enough of the stuff.

I have brought in 200g and will germinate it all (whatever we don't sell as seed in the next few months). There should be plenty of trees then. Also, my trees produced a few seeds last year and I know of a few other trees that are producing already, however these are no guaranteed high quality cultivated mate strains like the seed I have imported.

I suppose it's time again for me to put out my periodic request regarding Ilex guayusa. Does anyone have any, or know where to get it?

Just yesterday I realised (by chance) that one of my suppliers lives in exactly the region where one of my long time wish list items grows. When I e-mailed him for seed he said he just happened to see some seed the day before, but never thought anyone would be interested.

Two things I am trying to say here....

1) post more details on location and more people will be able to check with their contacts.

2)synchronicity rulz wink.gif

can anyone offer me advice on non seed propigation of ilex vomitoria?

after 2 years i hope i finally have one plant going.

i wonder if its interchangable with guayusa?

have a bit of foliage spare if anyone is interested.

t s t .

re,

Firstly, as a standard measurment i,

hot water treated the !colubria! seeds

for minutes. a pungent smell went up

me nostrils whilst doing this, and

on the surface of the water a shiney

residue appeared. drinking this, would

send you to ga ga land for 30 min i

thought, so i choose just to lick the surface glow!

after 12 hours under bottom heat in a

shallow concealed dish of water, some

seeds started forming root and shedding

there coat. so i proceeded planting the

seeds about 10 mm deep.

2 days later the first seedlings appeared!

some seedlings emerged full up displaying

there (still yellow color)embryonic leaves.

whilst others only poked there first true

leave up the surface... those first real

leaves are incredible fine in detail and

look and behave like the replicas of old

trees leaves.

truely amazing after only 3 days of sowing!

smile.gif

While I was shopping in Canberra, I happened to spot a few large cloth bags of Yerba Mate from Argentina. I couldn't remember where I'd heard about it, now I know.

I was just wondering, what do you do with it? Exactly like tea, just brew it?

Any Yerba connoiseurs around? I'm gonna give it a go anyway, but peoples advice would be helpful.

Later, Kai

PLZ DO NOT USE HOT WATER ON COLUBRINA SEEDS.

They do not have a thick seedcoat - quite the opposite. They will germinate readily without any treatment as long as the temp is high enough. Germination rate in 5 days is over 90% at the moment.

Originally posted by squiresk:

I was just wondering, what do you do with it? Exactly like tea, just brew it?

I love mate. Used to drink it just like green tea, but just in the last few months I have been getting into the traditional prepmethods. The whole mate ritual is as complex and varied as the japanese tea ceremony. I am constantly learning about it.

I have a friend in Argentina who will be supplying me with mates (the special cups), bombillas (the special spoon/strainer/straw drinking implement), various types of mate, and also the many mate admixture herbs .... soon.

We won't be catering to simply supplying plain cheap mate as this can be bought anywhere. We will be stocking all the 'weird' traditional stuff that is part of the experience.

if you want to learn about mate and have a couple of hours to kill, then have a look here http://www.soygaucho.com/

Soon? How soon?!??!?

There are few things I can think of more satisfying than a good mate. ;-)

We should all start a mate-drinking club, or summink, he he he.

[This message has been edited by Gwydion (edited 19 September 2002).]

Originally posted by Gwydion:

Soon? How soon?!??!?

as many of the mates are made form gourds, they will probably be delayed in quarantine for a couple of weeks, other than that, they should leave argentina in a few days.

I will be selling mate kits. This includes a mate and the bombilla. There will probably also be a 'complete kit', with the above, plus yerba mate, a couple of the admixture herbs and instructions (especially instructins on how to cure the mate vessel before use).

There are few things I can think of more satisfying than a good mate. ;-)

ditto. I find mate much more relaxing and envigorating than tea.

We should all start a mate-drinking club, or summink, he he he.

we'll see how popular this is and how serious people get about it, but yeah, that's a great idea.