The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
SaBReT00tH

Any sightings of Diplopterys cabrerana or Pausinystalia yohimbe yet??

Guest Mexicali

They wrote 'If you check out ebay at the moment you will see a loph that is being sold by mex/tal/gollumscacti it states that this cactus is around 7 -8 cm a 10cm pot. But if you look at the measuring tape that he is using to measure the plant you will notice that the pot is well under 9cms(the pot size is more like 8.5cms). The plant is about 1cm either side from the pot so how can it be the size he states. Something is not right here!'

There's something REALLY wrong with you and your comments keep on showing to people that you know NOTHING about plants: Measurements of POTS are taken DIAGONALLY, making the pot a 10cm pot. The measuring tape is placed vertically to show the size of the plant, not the pot, you ignoramus! Once you learn SOMETHING about plants, then you can talk, but until then...keep your mouth where it belongs...on my :bootyshake:

Like I said, I was merely posting what someone sent to me, nowhere at all did I write any opinion of mine on that matter. Don't worry, I wouldn't go anywhere near your ass Mexicali, God knows how many poor souls you've been getting to stick you there, and that's excluding the ones kissing your ass for your massive Loph collection. But like you say in your signature: 'you're responsible for everything exept your very responsibility'. LoL.

Edited by SaBReT00tH

as can be seen here http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...item=7766597609

the item says 4cm and is RIGHT under the picture in large letters.

Just below this it also says:

he plant measures around 4cm in diameter

You have to take all details of the description, not just the ones you like. Mexicali could have sent you anything between 3 and 5cm and be well within his rights, although possibly not very ethical. However, at 4.5 you really have nothing to complain about especially in view of the dormancy issue (yes, the dormany issue would not be an excuse of the plant was promised to be exactly or at least 4cm in size, but because the size given was only approximate it does put the whole thing into a different light). So in fact mexicali has NOT been at fault in regards to the diameter issue.

Directly below is a pic of what I meant about the second Loph having 0.5 high worth of flesh, looking like 'half a loph' in height.

This is unfortunate, yes. But certainly not anything illegal or unethical. Plants come in all shapes and sizes. If you want 99.9% identical plants you will need to buy commercial hybrid releases. Seed grown plants will give you this sort of variation.

Growth habit is a major variable and I don't see anything on his site that claims he only sells high domed buttons. Maybe consider yourself lucky that you have a plant that looks a little different to every other plant in your collection - I would. In fact, I usually pick out odd shapes as they have character.

circled in the middle you can see the half loph, with almost looks like it's flesh has rotted underneath.

I know that my lophs sometimes look like that too in winter. If it really has rotted then stake your claim, but if it hasn't then you got what you ordered!

I believe he chose this Loph in particular on purpose to send to me because I had complained about him sending me the wrong one at the start and about him ignoring my messages. He did this spiteful act in addition to purposelly sending it straight away when I had asked him to send it with the other items I had won from him on ebay to save postage costs. Thus he wanted me to pay and lose as much money as possible and make it as hard for me as possible.

You are mixing fact and emotion. Getting a different looking loph may be just luck of the draw. I really don't see why he would send you a dud plant if he already thinks you are a difficult customer. I makes no sense.

If however you asked for combined postage (which mexicali offers on the listings), then he is responsible for postage where he failed to combine as requested by the customer. It's very simple. Either you did email him to ask for combined postage listing all the items to be combined, or you didn't.

Here you can see what normal Loph look like in the ground, and then you can see what the 'half loph' (2nd one Mexicali sent me) looks like. It's like it has no bottom.

I have a few bottomless lophs and I have never held it against them. Most puff up to normal size in spring anyway. It most certainly is no legal issue in regards to mexicali's supply.

Here's proof that none of them were 4cm.

We have established above that you do not have a right to insist on a 4cm loph.

Given that you got a Loph that falls well within the description of the listing and that you received a second one to pacify you, I can't see why this deal is a problem.

Additionally, ANOTHER SAB member has PM'd me with something interesting.

They wrote 'If you check out ebay at the moment you will see a loph that is being sold by mex/tal/gollumscacti it states that this cactus is around 7 -8 cm a 10cm pot. But if you look at the measuring tape that he is using to measure the plant you will notice that the pot is well under 9cms(the pot size is more like 8.5cms). The plant is about 1cm either side from the pot so how can it be the size he states. Something is not right here!'

Pot sellers usually refer to pot sizes by measuring their sides (this is to allow calculating the soil volume). However nursery retailers frequently use the maximum dimension of the pot as their measurement (this is to allow buyers to calculate the maximum tray space or planting hole they need).

Personally I think the former method makes more sense than the latter (which is why SAB uses the former), but fact is that both are used in the trade and if mexicali chooses the latter then that's his right. I would recommend to him to use the former instead though as it is less likely to create friction with customers.

It's an interesting point of argument, but a bit anal really at this stage in the discussion. Who gives a toss what size the pot is as long as the plant is the right size?!?

So, the situation as far as I can see it at the moment is that:

* sabretooth got what he ordered, albeit not quite what he had expected.

* mexicali screwed up on the combined postage.

* sabretooth received a second plant to compensate for unmet expectations and excess postage.

* mexicali offered to refund in full (minus the postage) even though not required to do so by law.

* sabretooth decided to keep the plants begrudgingly.

Sabretooth, you got a fair trade deal here at every stage of the way, but you did make a mistake in your insistence on a 4cm Loph. Seems to me you should be the one proposing an amicable arrangement to finalise this.

Mexicali - be gracious and stop yourself falling for every bait. I know ebay is cut throat, but you have a monopoly there and hence there is no reason why you have to exaggerate your listings even slightly. ie, when we sell Lophs we used to sell them as 15-25mm or 25-35mm etc. If a plant was 24mm then it simply isn't in the 25-35mm category regardless of what time of year. Why not sell only Lophs that are 40mm and above at time of despatch? That way you can remove the 'around 4cm' and no customer will ever have a right to complain.

Im pretty certain all that needs to be said in this topic has been said

intelligent people can read it and make up their own minds

this topic will remain closed unless good reason is given to re-open it

edit:

it has been raised that this topic may result in resolution

and as i am not absent as previously expected ill moderate it

ill say now - i dont give a shit whos right or wrong, legal or illegal by e-bay laws, i dont have time for that, only for forum rules - my watch.

you're all adults. i care only that the discussion remains within the rules

read them well.

particularly

""no name calling and insults"

this community has a strong precedent of intolerance towards that sort of shite so i have no qualms about taking harsh action against those who lower the generally huigh standard of discourse round here to those levels

that withstanding my earliest comments still apply

so please edit any slander without delay and withhold from making any new accusations (lacking photographic evidence) - and the rest is up to you to discuss, delete or whatever you so please....

Edited by Rev

So what's the verdict, anyone seen either of these plants in circulation?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1