The Corroboree
occidentalis

Catha edulis seed germination

I have some Catha seed from the AFSR.

I have tried to germinate it with no success.

Any suggestions from the experts??

All advice very much appreciated.

Thankyou

All of my seeds from the ASFR germinated, i planted in a terracotta pot using a cacti mix, seems to work well, only covered them lightly and kept moist until they came up. now they're doing well and will be transplanted in spring.

how did u try it creach??

Most of mine came up too.

How old are your seeds, this may have some effect on their viability. Looking lovely at the moment, just waiting for the Spring

Didn't they actually originate from a tree near Perth. Maybe Rev wouldn't mind sharing such hallowed info as its location. Or you could just stalk some Ethiopians.

Kai

I don't know how old the seed is because I didn't collect it, but I got it from Rev about a month ago. I planted them about 2-3 weeks ago.

How long do they usually take to germinate in your experience??

I used a mixture of sandy soil and potting mix. Perhaps I haven't been watering them enough, but it has been raining lately so I think they should be ok.

I have some cactus mix so I will give that a shot.

I found some ethiopians on the street and chased them for a while, but they didn't know what I was yelling about and thought I was crazy.

No, not really.

Thanks folks.

hi, catha likes hot conditions 4

germination... it takes 5-7 days

4 the seeds to emerge! once up u

hope that u got perfect drainage

and still manage to keep nutrients up.

this is a comercial plant.

only if sick reduce the sun, the water

the fertilizing, bla, bla...

if u havent got bottom heat wait 4

the hot springdays, bla..wolf

Guest Monkey Shines

One of my friends knows a guy who has a tree that some african guys keep taking the leaves from, could this be the tree you are talking about? I dont know where it is but I could find out, I dont think it has many leaves left though.

Guest reville

If you do find the plant please..

dont tell everyone - its probably on private property and teh Ethiopian/Somali guys probably have an agreement that might be threatened by the hordes you could bring

Collect seed and take cuttings- establish more of these beautiful trees to take the pressure off

Catha grows very well here in Perth and there are many trees concentarted in small areas but far apart.

And about bloody time too!!!

I was starting to think my seeds would never come up (been in for well over a month), when all of a sudden, overnight as it were, almost ALL of them popped up. Not only the khats, but daturas, HBWRs, poppies, ephedras and riveas.

Talk about synchronisation!

It pays to be patient, methinks.

Guest mandragora

Where the seeds from reville wink.gif

My Datura took the same time and now here she is. AHHHHH

sorry to drag up this old post

but i found some khat seeds and thought i would give them a go

they must be 12 months old tho!

too old?

my snake might get cranky if i take away her heat mat when its this cold

Hi creach,

Try a 24 hour warm water soak before you plant. Worked for me.

Also as a last resort you can presoak in Gibberlic acid as this will induce germination. But be careful if you choose to do this- my friend got the concentration to high and they grew so high so quick the heads of the plants bent over and they died!!!

bsm2wr

one time i did a net search and a site came up which contained one of m old posts about this with some others, bugger i never saved the url...

i don't get tierd of saying, plant catha seeds with the wing facing up, this perfect polarisation will make the root go straight down, and avaoids the baby to have to perform acrobatic acts which will deplete it's energy reserves!!!

this is particuarly important if the seed's are old! as time is a major factor in this case, remeber till the seedling starts photosythesis all enery must come from its storage facileties.

catha edulis is sensitive to damping off.

narroleave qat seems to me to be a lil bit trickier to germ than broadleave...

but once they reach juvenil stages, the narroleav becomes pretty much immune against rootrots/problems, whilst the broadleaved varietys stay sensitive.

Well this is a blast from the past

I actually did get them to germinate in the end but lost them due to damping off. I have since learnt a lot about plants and gardening in general :) .

I've never had much luck avoiding the rot since then and now I just stick to cutttings. Although maybe I'll give some of the narrowleafed seeds a shot.

we just planted all our last years seed stock which is now 2-18 months old and we still got 50% germination.

Hi creach,

Make sure you use cheshunt compound with watering to prevent damping off.

bsm