The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Prophet

guarana plant

Does anyone know where I could possibly find a guarana plant (Paullinia cupana) or some viable seeds? Are they available within australia?

no, but soon :wink:

Might be a year or two before any hit the market though.

Do you know of anywhere you can buy viable seeds Torsten? I did a seach but came up with nothing useful.

the reason you wont find seeds is because they are very shortly viable. they should be planted whitin a week or two. (or so ive heard)

yes, the seeds are of such short viability that it is almost impossible to get them from the jungle to the airport before they are dead. I have a lot of experience shipping perishable seeds, so we are going to be using my methods next season to attempt this. As a back up we are also getting some rooted cuttings into a country where there is no quarantine restriction. From there we are planning a fully certified plant import into australia.

If my seed shipping method works then the locals will use this to distribute more seed around the world which will make it instantly available to a whole lot of collectors. If it doesn't then we will have to propagate vegetatively.

Speaking about quarantine and plants, how hard do you think it would be to import some new kava kava cultivars into the country? How costly do you think it would be and what would be involved?

i would lvoe a paulinnia yoco plant

but i dont think they are in oz

i would lvoe a paulinnia yoco plant

but i dont think they are in oz

Careful! Most Paullinias are EXTREMELY toxic from what I remember. Don't know about yoco, but make sure you research it well.

I was trying to import one from africa once and the supplier said he wouldn't even stock the seeds because there was too much danger of someone being poisoned by handling them carelessly.

yeah right i never knew that, but i dont much about the plants really.

ohh!! What part of the guarana plant do they use for drinks? and how do they prepare it without any toxicity?

ohh!! What part of the guarana plant do they use for drinks? and how do they prepare it without any toxicity?

the seeds are used for the drink. but only the seeds from one species. the other species are apprently toxic.

ohh ok. Yeah a Paullinia cupana would be awesome! Was previously on my wishlist but was taken off due to the incompatible climate down here. But at the moment I have 7 P Viridis growing in a warm greenhouse inside during 8 degree winter, alongside 2 B Caapis, a Kava, and a Cacao so I reckon a Paullinia Cupana would be able to cope aswell.

Edited by SaBReT00tH

Speaking about quarantine and plants, how hard do you think it would be to import some new kava kava cultivars into the country? How costly do you think it would be and what would be involved?

same as any plant import (inspection, fumigations, 3-6 months quarantine facility). check ICON for conditions. Piper sp are problematic I think in terms of quarantine. You will also need to get a permit from customs (or whoever they send you to) as kava in any form is a controlled drug import.

Paullinia yoco is not toxic in the nasty sense

it shravested for the liana sections that are scraped and infused to form a strong caffeine beverage

IMHO its far more useful than P cupana and should be a much higher priority

imagin eigf it was only the seeds of Banisteriopsis that were useful...

it's hard to believe that a species that goes to the effort of producing such a medium sized seed full of goodies has such a short viability. Probably a comment made by growers wanting to keep it in the country.

Anyone wanting to import seeds of brazillian climbers should be aware of any weed potential, in an ethical sense. It's worth looking into if you beleive in it.

i agree

it pays not to listen to whats written - often

Of the stuff available to me in the beginning so many limits have turned out to be smokescreens

in the end ill turn to see even the limits i have set by my own commnetary will prove to be unwoven

if you are dealing with recalcitrant seeds then you need to use suitable techniques to stop drying

i brought home Salak, mangifera, rambutan and other seeds from Brunei and Bali and they were all germinating by the time they got here- and i had them in my backpack for 3 weeks already

theyre all 9maybe excpet salak) seeds that dont tolerate drying

just in ziplocks and spaghnum or minimal moist Perlite

aqis didnt like it but they let me have it anyway

To list some disproven myths

Anadenanthera seed stay viable at least 1 year

Lagochilus seed is viable for a long while.

Salvia divinorum is not tropical, is root hardy to frost and does set viable seed in quantity

Kratom seed is viable more than a few weeks

Sassy seed is viable - when u know how

Trichocereus is fully frost hardy - to -7C and below (Terscheckii and bridge to below -10)

Capi is incredibly easy to propagate from leaf bud cuttings of semi hardwood

upcoming for the ethno myth busters...:D

How to break dormancy of Damiana seeds

How to ship viable Kola nuts

phlebo success in 2 easy steps

whate syrian rue really likes

how to ship viable nutmegs

why some commercial iboga seeds dont grow

^_^

Edited by Rev

exactly. until it is proven and shown with photos etc, these myths aren't worth much. I'm just waiting for more chances to prove these myths wrong :)

thanks. man do those armpits smell like bodo on a hot cogan day

Edited by Happy Cadaver

Yes well done with the mythbusting :) Keep 'em coming. I'm in the process of busting one of those myths myself.

well true, there might be some hidden agenda behind claiming short viability for certain seeds. I for one heard that E.coca seeds needet to be planted whitin a few weeks but I germinated several that was acouple months old a few years ago. With an ok germ rate also, I belive it was 30-40% ,

Edited by shamantra

I would really like to find Paullinia Cupana (Guarana) seeds please.  I am informed that they only have a viability of 72 hours.  So I would like to please find some one IN AUSTRALIA that can pick and send them to me when they are ripe.
[email protected]

Thank you
Twiggy