The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

Federal Govt pressures states to toughen cannabis laws

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200605/s1639102.htm

The Federal Government is pushing for tougher national cannabis laws, saying decriminalisation in some states is sending the wrong message to young people.

State and territory ministers gathered in Perth today, signing a number of national strategies to tackle illicit drug and alcohol abuse.

But how far the new era of cooperation will stretch appears uncertain.

Federal MP Christopher Pyne used the meeting to criticise cannabis laws in South Australia and Western Australia, where the personal use of the drug has been decriminalised.

"When those laws are flabby or [have] more holes in them than a lace curtain it sends the message to young people that cannabis use is not as bad as some people say it is," he said.

WA Labor MP Sue Ellery has rejected the criticism.

"It ought not be the case that for example a young adult is saddled with a criminal conviction for the rest of their life," she said.

The state governments say they will not be bullied into changing their cannabis laws.

Related

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200605/s1638110.htm

A meeting of Australia's top policy-making body on drugs today will discuss the creation of three national strategies to tackle alcohol abuse, and substance abuse, including cannabis and petrol sniffing.

The Ministerial Council on Drug Strategy is holding its annual conference in Perth.

The council comprises the federal, state and territory health ministers, and justice and police ministers.

The ABC has been told the conference is likely to endorse a national strategy on cannabis use, covering prevention, treatment, and law enforcement.

However it is understood the national plan does not seek to over-ride state laws on cannabis.

The state and federal ministers will also discuss a national alcohol strategy, tackling problems such as binge drinking, and a national inhalant strategy addressing issues such as petrol sniffing.

Cannabis is one of the most widely used illicit drugs and concerns that it may trigger psychotic illness and schizophrenia prompted the council to develop a national cannabis strategy.

There has been extensive government and community consultation in Australia on the creation of a national cannabis strategy since 2004.

"When those laws are flabby or [have] more holes in them than a lace curtain it sends the message to young people that cannabis use is not as bad as some people say it is," he said.

Carried to it's full extent, this logic says that cannabis is the most dangerous substance known.

:lol: some people say it causes instant heroin addiction, makes men grow breasts and women grow beards, turns a persons sweat into foul green ooze, and delivers a persons immortal soul to satan in one puff.

But interpreting that another way maby hes secretly an advocate.

Has Oz done much Unbiased toxicological research into marijuana? Or is your drug research system as draconian as mine?

There has been extensive government and community consultation in Australia on the creation of a national cannabis strategy since 2004.

really? how?

i've never been consulted.

More young people in my area use pills(ecstasy,k,speed or whatever else is in them at the time) than smoke pot. In fact not many young people smoke pot around here anymore at all. Its easier to get go-ee or pills than a gram of pot, that is, for the younger kids. I dont know where they get their info from but the think that the pills arent doing any damage nor are they going to do any long term damage so they down them like lollies. i.e. 10 to 20 in a weekend.

That is just my area, anyway i must retreive my weight of smack from my green oozing bra and have a taste with my old buddy satan.

That is just my area, anyway i must retreive my weight of smack from my green oozing bra and have a taste with my old buddy satan.

Tell him I said hi :wink:

A meeting of Australia's top policy-making body on drugs today will discuss the creation of three national strategies to tackle alcohol abuse, and substance abuse, including cannabis and petrol sniffing.

Interesting to note whether the substance abuse strategy will cater just for abusers, or also include recreational users. There is a big difference, which is probably why decriminization of small quantites of marijuana is frowned upon by some circles. I think what I'm trying to say is that abuse of an illegal substance is defined differently from a legal substance. If its illegal and you're caught using or in possession you're defined as an abuser, whereas someone caught drink driving isn't necissarily classified as an alcohol abuser.

jeez this cannabis stuff must be nearly as bad for you as dihydrogen monoxide :blink::wacko::blink::wacko:

^ Nasty stuff that is! :lol: