The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mesqualero

Acacia , Acacia maidenii seeds

Guest Mesqualero

Is there any place in australia that sells these seeds? or is it a matter of finding them out bush and being lucky enough to get seeds??

So any way yeah I'm after Acacia obtusifolia and maidenii seeds.

please.

we sell maidenii. obtusifolia is difficult to get and CSIRO are usually sold out.

hi mesq,

i have some obtusifolia seed..

had em for a few years..dont know how long they are viable..?

email me an address if you're interested.

Guest reville

given maideniis' wide geographical range - have there been any reports of differences in potency between different provenances?

(not including Nens' 'psychic chromatography' ha)

I have heard that some Acacia seeds have been found viable after 100 years....

They have a hard coat so if it is intact they will probably be OK.

yeah, the seeds should be viable even after many years. Just make sure to nick them.

There have been no serious comparative studies done on acacias at different times of year, different climates etc. A couple of very loose and barely scientific experiments in regards to harmaline content in some species, but these are so bad that they should only be taken as a guide. There are so many factors involved in what the tree produces, that a few samples in a single year is not enough to get good data.

Also much of the tryptamine yield data in reference to time of year etc is from single specimen analysis. ie, cut one down in spring, extract it and get poor yields = spring is bad. then cut another one down in autumn and get good yields, so autum = good. There is NO scientific credibility in this.

A good experiment would be to work from a single tree at montly intervals over a 2 year period of typical climate (ie not an el nino year etc). And then also do spot tests when climate is odd. That would establish some basic data in relation to climate and seasonal influence. Ideally the project should be run on several individuals.... on several species..... in several locations....

where is that GC/MS ????

I thought someone was onto this wink.gif

I personally thought that a lot of australian native plants/seeds will last for years until they ended up "victim" of some bushfires, because I was watching some ABC or SBS docmentry while ago that blackfellas control trees/shurbs/plants by controlled bushfires???

As far a A. maidenii goes you could get one of the Canberra chaps to nip over the botanic gardens in the right season and easily collect kilos of seed. After getting permission of course.

Guest Mesqualero

I have sourced some obtusifolia seeds and should be getting the maidenii seeds from SAB.. thanks everyone.

[This message has been edited by Mesqualero (edited 05 August 2002).]

""As far a A. maidenii goes you could get one of the Canberra chaps to nip over the botanic gardens in the right season and easily collect kilos of seed.""

I dunno about a kilo though!

Originally posted by WarpedAstro:

I personally thought that a lot of australian native plants/seeds will last for years until they ended up "victim" of some bushfires, because I was watching some ABC or SBS docmentry while ago that blackfellas control trees/shurbs/plants by controlled bushfires???

WarpedA, there also seem to be plants which have seeds that benefit from fire. Also seen this on a documentary that focussed on South West Austrailian Eco system.

Fu.. what system ?? wink.gif

Originally posted by squiresk:

I dunno about a kilo though!

OK my estimate may have been little high but they do have quite a few really big trees not only in the acacia section but spread all over the gardens. Not sure what anyone would actully do with a kilo anyway? Maybe start their very own acacia forest?